Tuesday 5 January 2010

Snow! (and Binding 'Rainbow')


The Met Office has been threatening us with snow for at least two weeks. Well, it has arrived. This is one view of the garden. It is so quiet - no traffic - just thick snow coming down steadily. The garden is all white and the cordon apples and pears are standing out in black and white against the high dark green laurel hedge. I can't take a photo of them, the angle and distance from any window are all wrong.

The hills are invisible which is a daft comment as I can't see the trees on the Common across the road and they must be all of 50/60 yards away.













And here is a pot on the patio - the snow is already a higher rim. I won't be going out today - not even sick-visiting because the hospital has shut its doors on visitors. They have taken to doing this if they have  any outbreak of infection. Michael has collected himself a telephone so I had a long talk to him this morning and he says several hospitals in the district are closed to visitors. That makes me feel better in one way. I don't have to feel guilty about not having the courage to go out in this weather. But then I don't get to see him.




The first two covers have been glued, folded, trimmed and pressed - see photo on left.













I made a card  template for punching holes in the text pages and in the two covers and bound them together using the best length of kumihimo braid which was just long enough. The thick kumihimo is clearly far too thick. I will try plaiting some fine ribbon otherwise we are in a long wait while I make some more fine braid.

And here is a sample of the text. I did have fun with Inkscape and Photoshop.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.