Monday 4 January 2010

Printing 'Rainbow'

I have printed out the first copy of 'Rainbow' on Bockingford.  It is certainly one way of getting exercise. There are seven double sided pages to print and the Inkjet is only single sided so one side gets printed, then the same sheet put back in and printed on the other side. The unfortunate part is that the Inkjet is installed upstairs and Framemaker which is controlling the printing, is installed downstairs so much running up and down stairs to reload the printer. It  was printed out completely on 80gsm paper first to check on the alignment. The quality is much better on the Inkjet and I used the highest possible output setting for the Bockingford.  Amazing how much brighter the colours are than on the Laserjet. The book is quite small with the actual pages 5 inches by 3. I tried the pictures 25% bigger and did not like it.

I hunted through my fabric stash and found some suitable cotton which was PVA'd onto paper for the cover of the first book. It is drying off now. The boards are cut and I have found two lengths of kumihimo braid which might do. One is very suitable but a bit short, the other is okay and plenty long enough but rather thick. I intend to make five copies and will have to make some more braid. I did search my two boxes of ribbon but there is nothing there unless I plait together three different colours of thin ribbon - might work. I might try that tomorrow.

I have done no weaving because I did not sleep well last night and don't want to make a mess of it. Printing and binding 'Rainbow' is  much less taxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.