Friday 12 February 2016

The Local Camera Club

I belong to the local camera club which seems to cover a circle of several nearby villages. We meet at least twice a month and twenty to thirty people turn up. Last night it was a competition of prints between eight clubs in the South and it was startling. Each club entered the same number of prints, presumably selected by the club. The standard was terrific, indeed rather startling high. Technically most of the prints were perfect but it was the composition which got me. Of the sixty or so prints, there were maybe five which I would not have given house room to. This was because I could not  work out what they were about. The judge called them 'abstracts'. Hmmm! Anyway it was very enlightening. I need to try harder but I doubt I will ever get to that level as I only have a Canon G16. I have no intention of getting anything better because I refuse to carry around a ton of camera equipment.

I have this week written the Guild Newsletter, tidied up the garage and settled down at last to working seriously on my contribution to the Fan Reed book. I have three sections to write, one on the way my mechanism works, one on history and one of what I have woven. I spent the whole of yesterday working on the mechanism, finishing at midnight. I got up this morning and my first thought was I have omitted a topic so need to go back and add that. Then do a section on what I have woven. The history is really difficult and I have been working on the topic for months. But information is difficult to come by. I may end up having to visit the States though I would prefer not to as I may be mistaken about where there is some data.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.