Tuesday 9 February 2016

Textiles of the Silk Route

I went over to Surrey this morning and gave a talk on Textiles of the Silk Route. The title is very open ended and the talk ended up in three sections. History of the silk route, my trip and current textile making on the silk route. Going by the questions, the audience stayed awake during the talk so that is an accolade!

Otherwise I need to deal with the FrameMaker problem and do some more bookbinding and warp the Louet Kombo. We had a builder in yesterday and he installed two valets, one for the Megado and one for the Kombo. He did a huge number of odd jobs and the house looks a great deal more finished now. He is coming back next Monday to finish off the list. I have decided what to do about the Seven Lamps of Architecture which involves putting on a new dark brown leather cover. That was very exciting as I had to order my own leather. Up to now, I have relied on acquiring leather from a tutor or a friend. This time I did it all myself! I have not yet solved the endpapers problem and am wondering if I soak the existing covers in water, I could lift the endpaper off. I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.