Thursday 18 February 2016

Slimbridge

It is half term this week so no classes  and we decided to go to Slimbridge. This is because a) Dorothy has never been b) I want to practise taking photos and c) I am taking my gradson there is a few weeks and wanted to remind myself of what it was like. It is not very far  from Malvern and so we visited several times.

So Tuesday started with getting up at 0630 and arraying myself in what I call my Silk Route clothes. Start with silk longjohns and longsleeved silk vest then fleece trousers and a thin sweater then my Goretex sweater, then anorak, hat and gloves. Oh and a rucksack full of camera gear. It did not take long to discover that a telephoto lens was needed . I was amused at the gear other photographers had. Lens 2 foot long!! I cannot imagine myself lugging that lot about. Dorothy and I discussed and decided a shopping cart would be useful.

It was a beautiful day, no clouds. And I discovered that while that makes for nice lighting, it is a pest because you have to look for 'back to the sun' shots.

I took 92 photos. I discarded 23 immediately I got home./ When I examined the rest in Photoshop (CS5 I will have you know, not Elements), I ended up with 22 and even they are not perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.