Friday 30 January 2015

Imperial Press

This morning I drove over to the PrintShed and finished off printing all the linocuts for Sir Patrick Spens. I am pleased. I have four complete books plus a complete set of printed linocuts minus the verses which I will scan into Photoshop and place with the text of the verses, then I can  print off a copy when ever there is a need.
 This is the vertical press, an Imperial Press dated 1834. You can see the inked linocut (black) on the platen. The paper is placed on top, then covered with a sheet of felt and then with several sheets of card to get the pressure right.
And here is the press closed, with platen moved forward to underneath the vertical press. To bring down the top on to the platen, you take the wooden  handle sticking out to the right about one third of the way down the photo. This is brought right across the press until it sticks out on the left side. Then you put it back in place, move the platen back to its starting point and extract the printed paper.

That all took up most of the day. The only other thing I have done is to retie the double weave Tencel on the Louet Kombo and weave the first couple of inches. Tomorrow I have paperwork to do which will occupy the morning. Bah!!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.