Thursday 6 February 2014

Frank Lloyd Wright

The architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, has always been a hero to me. I have been to see Taliesin West at Scottsdale, Arizona. I dragged my ten year old grand-daughter round it, telling her first that this was granny's day out and she would not like it but would she mind not grumbling. Then when we were at Convergence 2008 in Tampa Bay, I persuaded a group of UK visitors that they wanted to see Frank Lloyd Wright's campus at the Methodist University. A few years ago,  Martin Randall Travel  took to doing conducted tours of the most famous of his buildings and including Falling Waters. The tours were always fully booked by the time I got the brochure so I complained and got myself onto a waiting list. You can guess what is coming. This afternoon I had a phone call. Did I still want to go? Try stopping me! It has taken a bit of reorganisation including a phone call from my daughter, Ruth, who was in Prague Airport. But it is all fixed. I can't believe my luck.

I have been warping up the 12 shaft Meyer to start on some pieces for the Midlands Textile Forum which is exhibiting at Nature in Art, just north of Gloucester. This is a multicoloured (orange and blue) warp which I discovered at the back of a cupboard. I have worked out what it was for- a piece of four colour double weave. Because of the nature of the pieces which will be in Theo Moorman technique, I have threaded it as a straight draw and will probably weave it as a turned four colour double weave.
I have bought two new reeds for it as an 8 dent/inch is not much use to me. I have bought a 10 and a 12 to fit the Meyer. They arrived today. The warp is all threaded, just needs sleying and tying on. So I am off to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.