Monday 3 February 2014

A Second Wraparound Case


I have made a wraparound case for the second smaller Futatsu book. It is better, fits very snugly whereas the first case was a little too large

And this is the inside. The lining paper is red textured tissue paper (Chinese) which is a bit too transparent. I would have done well to have lined the case with plain red paper first. But serviceable all the same.

Last Saturday was Guild day. Lots of preparation for the National Exhibition entries, in particular, the Guild entries. I think these are going to be good. We have made arrangements to take photos of entries  as these are required this year. We had an excellent talk from Liz Clay who is a very talented felter. The stuff is gossamer thin!! And the following day some of us had the privilege of attending  a class run by her. Great excitement as felted ruffles appeared as if by magic.

The other project which has suddenly got to the front of the queue is the small Newbury Coat. A dressmaker has been altering and generating a pattern for a small version of the Newbury Coat which is sized for a ten-year old. I now know how much yardage is required and the spinners have spun some special yarn (plied!!) to be the warp. I decided to dye the yarn before weaving and have just sent for some special blue acid dye as I do not want to use indigo. The sett will be 8epi so it will weave up fast. I have taken all precautions. I just do not want to suffer the weaving as in 2011. Cans of spray starch are in the house. I do have to get the rest of the current Megado warp woven off but there is not much of that. I am making a piece for the Midlands textile Forum's show at Nature in Art in April



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.