Thursday 15 August 2013

Progress towards Sunday

On Sunday I leave for 12 days on safari in Africa with the time split between South Luanga and Botswana (for meerkats for my grandson, Alex). So I have inspected suitable clothes and washed most of them. They are all ironed and laid out ready to pack. I have a list to which I am adding items as I think of them, like binoculars. Michael bought a good pair but they are heavy! I have also answered urgent letters, paid bills and gardened madly. I got round to planting the plants I bought at Hampton Court Show some weeks ago.

Today I am taking a loom back to its owner and going on to Brighton - Billy Budd at Glyndebourne this evening. I have warned my daughter that, if the production is any good, I shall weep buckets in the last act.

I have finished weaving a scarf on the Summer School warp but have not cut it off as I want to weave a substantial length in lambs wool to put through my washing machine at various settings.

Oh and I finished preparing the Guild Newsletter and it went off to the printer at 11 pm last night. Since no blog is complete without a photo and since my garden has never looked so good as it has done this year, here are some highlights of the moment.

The campsis is even better. This is the best it has ever been.

And the hibiscus ditto.
A garden pot from France with a background of two sorts of crinum, pink and white and agapanthus. The roses are having a second flowering, the hollyhocks are rampant. There is crocosmia everywhere blazing in orange and scarlet and there is an enormous crop of pears and apples. What a summer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.