Saturday 24 August 2013

Nwali First Day

The flight from London was in uneventful and tedious. We were met at Lusaka airport which we were not expecting but the man was very helpful indeed, collecting baggage, getting it onto the next plane, getting us checked in and so on. The flight to Mfuwe was on a small plane - 38 passengers and full. Then a drive of an hour to the Lodge where we arrived about 1130. On the way, there was lots to see

A village with a market

Giraffes and baboons, hippos, birds. I am not doing well on taking photos of birds. The d****** things insist on flying away. At the camp, we discovered that a safari drive was organised for us starting at 1600 hours and we saw all sorts of animals. A lion,lots of buck, even more birds and a leopard.

And elephants

Then back to the camp for dinner and collapse into bed. I forgot to mention that South Luanga park is on the opposite side of the river so we drove downstream for a couple of kilometres and crossed by what the locals call a pontoon which it is not. A pontoon to me is a wooden bridge which floats. This is a raft which is winched across by two men working very hard. After all, our vehicle is a long wheelbase Toyota Land Cruiser!,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.