Wednesday 5 June 2013

Turf an 25th May

We spent yesterday viewing ancient ruins and going underground to see tombs. We also visited the Caves of a Thousand Buddhas. Most of the frescos were chiselled off in the early 19th century and shipped to European museums. The majority went to Berlin where they were bombed in the 1940s. But a few caves are left untouched. In particular the ceilings of the caves are painted still with row upon row of Buddhas.

In the afternoon went to see the Turfan museum, very new and very well done. Lots of scraps of ancient patterned silk. They did not photograph well and I settled for buying a first rate book instead. Then another ancient ruin. To be honest the remains of one ancient city with mud walls looks much the same as any other after 2000 years.

So I will show a lone musician at the ruins whose plaintive singing made one realise this place would once be bustling with people.

This is Grape Valley. Everywhere there are vines growing. A lot are dried and below is a photo of a grape drying shed. Apparently putting them in the sunshine results a nasty colour. I can vouch for the fact that the dried grapes are delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.