Monday 25 March 2013

Family Weekend

On Friday, Dorothy and I went to the NEC at Birmingham for an exhibition 'Sewing for Pleasure' and we did get a lot of pleasure although I have spent rather a lot of money. A lot of this was on threads for the Castlemorton Common set which I will work on today. But it snowed a lot on Friday and went on snowing. My daughter, Ruth, arrived from the south (where it is not snowing) on Saturday and rushed out to buy a sledge. The weekend was spent cooking or so it seemed.
 
 
Because of the snow, the Saturday weaving class was cancelled. I don't remember us ever cancelling before and we have had to do it twice this year. About the only piece of textile work I have done is shown above. It is the cover for the second volume of the Jules Verne book. Today I will paste it to a piece of bond paper ready for bookbinding on Wednesday. In between all of this, I managed to install programs on the desktop computer which is about to be used for everything.  Lots of problems, mostly of 'where is the serial number` sort. So far I have only been forced to buy one new program - Powerpoint.  Very depressing. And I have discovered that this machine will not speak to my laptop. Oh well. More delving into Mr Gates's help and support. The weather is not conducive to viewing stately homes anyway so we shall be staying at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.