Sunday 3 February 2013

More on the 12 shaft Looms

Yesterday I talked to Kennet Valley Guild about 'Textile Techiques in the Far East', complete with lots of samples of fabric. It was  a bit long at just over an hour but they didn't boo!! What with one thing and another, I finished up bringing both 12 shaft looms home. This morning, I pulled out 4 yards of warp on the Meyer and rewound it because it was a mess. I think I was not quite used to checking the ratchet on the two advancing wheels every time I changed anything. They are made of wood and do not engage well. Metal ones would have been better. The warp has gone back on quite well and I tidied up the error (one) and resleyed a section of the warp. Then I  wove a sample a few inches long which looks fine. The Meyer has a lot of defects. A new one to me is that the bottom of the levers controlling  the shafts is only a smidgeon above the top of the reed so I have to hold the reed forward with one hand while I change the levers with the other hand. It does slow things up a lot.
 
I am currently weaving my own sample length on the Guild's clunky 12-shaft (but I have come to appreciate it). I have started by experimenting with colours and am not satisfied yet.

 Here are the knitted fishes pegged to the trellis outside. The one at the top has been painted with PVA and it is quite stiff. I think this may be an advantage but, for now, they are to get wet, snowed on and (possibly) sunburnt. I shall takie photos every month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.