Sunday 24 February 2013

Still Sunburnt

It is taking a long time for my skin to get better but it is definitely improving. People greet me with 'Have you been using a tanning bed?  - which shows you what I look like. I stayed away from the Megado under the lights all last week but I did warp up the Voyager and have woven a fair bit on that - wearing a visored cap which says DIAMOND on it. My grand-daughter still thinks this is hysterically funny. But it works. Yesterday(Saturday) I went back to the Megado plus visored cap and did a couple of hours weaving. I have borrowed four ski shuttles and progress should be faster. I can't remember the last time I worked with five shuttles!! The problem is that the weft colour changes every four picks and it is waste of handspun, not to mention mending time, to break the yarn at each change so all the yarn is being taken (tidily) up the right hand selvedge. To keep everything under control, I put the not-in-use shuttles on top of the castle and clip all the yarns together using a clothes peg which is tied firmly to the castle. This is a great improvement.
 
Other things this week? I went into Redditch hospital (NHS nice and friendly) to have my gullet inspected again. They were checking that the medication worked  and it has done. So they want to see me again in two years.  But it did wipe out two whole days of  the week.
 
Today I must finish off the Hockney changes. The Hockney was mounted on three stout wooden frames which proved to be a pest for storage and transport. Only one or two people had cars big enough to transport them. So it was decided (by Rosie Price) that they should be taken off the frames, have the backs tidied up and a hanging sleeve installed. Then  they could all be rolled up, put into one bag and stored/transported much more easily. I volunteered to do one of the three and it has to be finished for next Saturday. I have hand stitched down both sides, installed Velcro on the bottom edge and hand stitched that into place. Just the sleeve at the top to do.
 
Well, can't hang around here gossiping.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.