Sunday 13 January 2013

Verdi Operas

It's 200 years since Verdi was born and I have just realised that Radio 3 is having a fit of Verdi complete-itis. When I drove home on Thursday evening, it was to the accompagniment of Simon Boccanegra from Milan - Placido Domingo singing no less. 20 years ago, it was not performed at all. In the last few years, I have seen two productions. Yesterday evening it was Il Trovatore from the Met. It made the process of changing all the heddles round much pleasanter. I was not even cross when I dropped a shaft on the floor as I tried to re-install it. The shafts are all properly kitted out now and I have started winding on. 

Michael, by the way, was not very keen on Verdi as a whole but he did like Simon Boccanegra and he would travel halfway across England to see a production of Falstaff. He was totally against Puccini and I had to threaten him to get him to Turandot which I happen to like. Threats, by the way, consisted of 'Very well then, I'll go by myself'. It worked every time.

Yesterday was the Bookbinders AGM and we took a load of stuff from a deceased bookbinder's studio to be sold. Most of it was taken. On a personal note, I suddenly realised that a guillotine was actually a greyboard guillotine!! so no more cutting covers out of greyboard with a knife!!! I am pleased. It will take A2. Now all I have to do is to find it a home! I also bought some nice Japanese paper and a bundle of handmade paper.  I have not done a lot of bookbinding lately and I am missing it. The bookbinding class starts up next Wednesday and I have work to do before that. Must get on!!!

1 comment:

  1. We are on the same wavelength here. Simon Boccanegra is my very favorite opera. Just hearing the overture makes my heart beat faster. Viva Verdi!
    And the guillotine -– how wonderful. Cutting board by hand is the pits. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.