Sunday 15 May 2011

Spring Gardening Show

The Royal Horticultural Society (Chelsea Flower Show and so on) also runs a four day show at the Three counties Showground about a mile from where I live. This was on last week and some friends came over so that we could spend Saturday there. I insisted on getting there at 9 o'clock because by 11 it is hopelessly crowded - and I was right!! We ended up by buying two fold-up plastic trolleys to put our purchases in!! Well, a clematis in a large pot with a bamboo cane sticking out the top is not an easy thing to carry around!  I wanted to buy four shrubs to replace ones lost last winter. One was a callistemon (red flowered bottle-brush shrub) and the second was a tender myrtle so we were asking for trouble there. But I also lost two hardy fuschias. I only bought one replacement which was yet another tree paeony - at least I know they thrive in this garden and did not mind the cold winter. So I still need some more shrubs. I will try to get to our local nursery this week. 

Anne and family came to lunch today so we had a large lunch party with the guests and then we walked on the common.

I did get up early this morning and write up the notes to go with the samples to Complex Weavers Fine Threads Study Group. My contribution is the Tencel woven on the Megado. They want 43 copies!!!! I managed to print out all the copies before breakfast. Then when everyone had gone home, I ironed the Tencel sample, cut it up with a roller cutter, and used archival double-sided tape to stick the  sample to the notes. It is all parcelled up and ready to be posted tomorrow.

Tomorrow I must attempt to deal with my computer problems. Tonight I am about to return to the Newbury Coat weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.