Friday 6 May 2011

Two Burmese Pieces

I have done some tidying up. I got the Tencel scarf off to the States and spent some time sorting out shelves. I did manage to finish the haori. I need to get a photo of it with me inside. Today we are dyeing at the Bourneville class so I have reviewed projects and realised that I need various bits of fabric dyed in grey and/or brown so have collected them together.


I had a wonderful present this week from my Burmese friend who has been to visit his parents. He brought back two lengths of fabric for me - having asked exactly where they were made because he knew I would ask that immediately!

This one is woven by the Karen Hill People who are on the borders of Burma/Laos/Thailand. He brought me one two years ago which is similar in weaving techniques but the patterns are quite different and much smaller scale. That one is in green and black.















This piece is from the far North of Burma, next door to Nagaland (India) This is a length of fabric with embroidery on it. To me it looks Indian and like a skirt length. A close-up of the embroidery is shown below. The colours of the embroidery are very carefully chosen and are white and blue. Lovely.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.