Monday 7 February 2011

New Day Book

I am slowly progressing with my new Day Book. Today I sewed all the sections together and it is in the press. I had intended to cover it in some fabric showing beach huts but came across this while looking for a piece of fabric with stars on it to send to my sister, Dorothy.  The piece on the left was designed and sized for an A4 book so I will use it. The leaves go up the spine. It is a very substantial book and I am wondering if 2mm greyboard will be stout enough.


I have been experimenting with over dyeing. I took the piece of calico which I had printed with a paisley pattern wood block and tore it in half. Then one half was dyed with rust-orange Procion MX and the other half had transfer dyes ironed on. No real surprises. Both worked and you can still see the original printed patterns.  I suspect it work as well if I reversed the order. I quite like the transfer dyes although it takes a long time to iron. I have ruined the cover on my ironing board by not being careful enough - it has become quite multi-coloured.
I prepared a small lino cut yesterday  (3 inches square) and printed it this morning. I do not get on so well with such a small piece. Does not seem to print so well. I did try it on paper with printing ink and on fabric with acrylic paint textile medium. The fabric works okay but I was using heavily textured fabric  and the red looks quite pale pink because the paint only sits on the highest threads. Interesting though. I must try on a smoother fabric like calico. The next lesson has come and I must read it this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.