Wednesday 9 February 2011

First Batch of Dyeing

I did the first batch of dyeing today. Made soda solution, replacement acid dye solution. Used Procion MX dye rust-orange, on a big piece of calico for a gilet. It intend to put on an Art Deco design based on the previous one but printed (mostly).  And dyed three skeins of wool and silk violet. 

I dyed 3 similar skeins a few weeks ago. One skein came out a slightly different colour and felt differen and  I decided that it could be turned into warp and tie-dyed. Can I find it? No. I have the other two skeins but where the third is I have no idea. But there was a piece of serendipity. I decided to look in all the plastic crates of yarn and found 200 gms of Leicester Longwool space dyed with strawberry pink. It was bought at Sheep 2010 held at the local Three Counties Showground. It is just perfect for the multicoloured warp so I turned the whole lot into warp.

And I wound more skeins for the indigo day next Monday. I have decided that I will wind the warp I want and dye that directly. So that has to be done before Monday.

But I would like to find my missing skein. I don't think I have enough yarn otherwise.

Michael has finished all his work on the Morning Glories but I am waiting for him to sign them all. Then I will start on the book processing.
And there were also visits today from the GP, the district nurse, two pharmacists' deliveries and the hairdresser to cut Michael's hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.