Monday 6 December 2010

Some Progress

I was looking out Christmas presents among my Japanese books and decided that this one would be appropriate. The keen eyed among you will note that the stitching has been redone. In stitching the original, I ran out of thread and omitted one stitch and had to tie the ends on the outside (which I don't like) so this one has been done 'properly'.

When finished, it had the honour of being the first in the new book press. All the books intended for presents are okay except one where the covers are curved. I will put that one in the press later today. If it can't be sorted, I will have to rethink that one.









This is an 8-shaft Summer and Winter on the Louet Kombo for Christmas cards. The pattern weft is lurex which looks much better in reality than this photo especially the silver. The red is not so striking and I shall try gold lurex next. This is a rethreaded warp from the table mats but there was not much warp left. So I am going to tie on a new warp which will be plain blue and not multicoloured. I am halfway through winding the warp - 6 metres long. The Christmas cards should take up about another 1.5 metres and then I shall do Summer and Winter samples on the rest. In case you are wondering, the motifs are glass baubles for a Christmas tree.


Tomorrow Michael will be out all day and I intend to have a blitz on textiles. I wonder what what will happen to stop me!! Today we are going to see his consultant in Worcester Royal which means an early start. I have given up on the NHS transport - which is atrocious and we use Matt the Taxi (Access Taxis to the rest of the world) who has a taxi equipped for wheel chair access.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.