Thursday 30 December 2010

Hardworking Grand-daughter

Madi came round yesterday and worked hard. First we made two trips to the dump to clear accumulated rubbish from the garage and cellar. Then we tidied up in the cellar - generating more rubbish for the dump and put it in the garage. Then she cleaned all the kitchen drawers and some of the kitchen cupboards. I did a heap of ironing while the cleaning was going on.  In the evening, I just slept!!

Today I have been book binding. The bookblock for Pinocchio is completed and the cover  has been made up. This time I printed on the inkjet on Photo Glossy II paper and the definition is very good.



On Christmas Carol, I have been trying to decide what technique to use for the cover. One thing I have realised is that, if I do any form of applique, the inner fabric has to be the full size of the cover. Otherwise I will have nasty problems when I come to pasting bank paper on the back. The other technique is using disperse dyes which does not have that problem.

The text was the first trials of using the ThermoFax screen  - not very good and not acceptable but okay for practising techniques. From left to right

1) Reverse applique on cotton fabric dyed with Procion MX - more or less small hand stitches
2) Reverse applique on same fabric, Zigzag stitch used. The paper template is still obvious.
3) Dark blue disperse dye ironed on. Okay but where did the faint pink and yellow come from?

No 3 has the advantage of being just one piece of fabric. The jury is out on this. First I need to print the title again. I printed it through a second screen first time around and I think I have lost definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.