Monday 15 March 2010

Irises

The older flower on the left has faded. The colour of the two on the right is pretty accurate, sort of lavender blue. There are more buds. Sheets of blue crocuses under the rowan - not the big Dutch ones but little ones which like the garden enough to seed themselves. This year, there are crocus flowers in the lawn, in beds in the lower garden. Long may they go on seeding. The other thing that seeds freely here is cyclamen. I have let them grow everywhere.

The daffodil buds have turned their heads down so the flowers are horizontal, the scilla are a sheet of blue. But the peach tree is nowhere near flowering and it usually does so in February. We have an evergreen clematis which is a bit tender growing in a sheltered place and it can be relied on to flower in February. It has just opened its first two flowers, lots to come.

I can see that, this year, this garden is going to be like our garden in Aberdeen used to be. At the start of May, everything came into flower together. Snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils, tulips - and the roses. Mind you the garden gave up doing anything in October. And you could dig in the garden at 10 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.