Wednesday 21 February 2018

Weaving - At Last

I have a merino and silk warp on the Schacht but have not yet organised the treadles. I have 6 yards of warp on the Megado but it wants tying on and the laptop reinstalling - it went to Iceland. The 12 shaft Meyer has a fine wool warp on and I am using what the Guild refers to as 'Rosie's Regent Street stuff' as weft. It came from a window in Regent Street (Uniqlo, I think) and has to be used for charitable purposes. So I have taken some (actually rather a lot) of the fibre when spun and am turning it into scarves either for sale to raise money for charity or being given to refugees and others in need of winter warmth. The first scarf was done in a zigzag twill in green wool.


The first one is shown above. It is not perfect. The selvedges were so bad that I felt obliged to overcast them and the sleying is uneven at one point in the width. Actually it was only one thread extra but it showed! Even after washing it still shows. And I tried to be mean about the width. So for the next two scarves, I removed 2 cm each side from the warp, corrected the sleying and installed a slightly thicker wool thread of the same colour at each side for a floating selvedge. The result is much improved.

The selvedges are good and I can see no errors in the body. Mind you, given this draft, any errors may not be very noticeable.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.