Monday 3 April 2017

Thoughts

A lot has happened in the last week, since I returned from India. Probably the thing that affects my life most is that my term of office (4 years)  as Guild Chairman (Weavers, Spinners and Dyers) ended on Saturday with the election of a new Chairman. So last week was spent printing off copies of reports, 2016 AGM minutes, AGM agendas and so on, not to mention writing a chairman's report to read at the AGM. This was in the morning. In the afternoon the Guild had a talk from Cally Booker (last year's Chairman of Complex Weavers). That appealed to a lot of people and she was swamped by people rushing to the front to talk to her when she stopped her talk.

Lots of other stuff got dealt with during the week. I downloaded all my photos of India and stuck them in file folders and looked them over. There were about 1050 phots when downloaded and I deleted a couple of hundred for being out of focus, spoilt by getting something else in, unfoccussed because things/people rushed across the scene. Most of the remainder are okay but need dealing with one at a time. What is interesting is that I reckon the photos of Sarojini Market are best. And this has lead me to realise that the photos I have taken of markets all over the world are best or at least the most memorable of my photos.

I remember in photos
- the market at Kyoto
- the markets at Samarkand, Istanbul, Shanghai, where few sellers had a stall  and they just spread a cloth on the tarmac. There were other markets on the Silk Route, the Fergana Valley for instance where they sold seven different qualities of sultanas
- the market in Holland where the Bosch exhibition was, notable for cheese and bread
- Lake Como
- Sarojini market

I have become expert in taking photos of people without them realising. Which has made me decide that I do not like posed photos. But I could add photos of Thomas Keating Limited where people had been told to ignore me and in any case  were too busy looking after machinery to pay any attention to what I was doing. So people going about their lives. That is an enormous discovery.

I finished my bomber jacket of blue/brown tweed and have worn it a lot. I have started on the last length of warp using the fan reed. It took me a weave of 6 inches to remember how to weave it. I must write up notes on this. Today I started in earnest again and wove about 40 cm. I should be finished this week.

I have also done a lot of gardening, weeding, tying up climbers, planting small plants. I have been hardening off some of my seedlings ready for planting out in the next few days.

Oh and I nearly forgot, since Cally was staying with us, we all went to London on Thursday and saw the Hockney retrospective at Tate Britain and the Raushenberg at Tate Modern. Big argument about the Raushenberg. The others thought he was terrible but I am not so sure. It is so different from Hockney that doing them on the same day was a mistake. I wonder what everyone would have thought if we had done the Hockney second.

No photos today! But I will take some in the garden tomorrow. It is looking good.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.