Friday 10 February 2017

Dye and Problems

I mended all the ends in the Megado yardage and, since it contains 50% merino, washed in the bath where I walked (waulked) on it in water as hot as I got put my feet in. The sad bit is that lots of dye came out of the dark red silk noil and has turned the white into a distinctly offwhite. Difficult to describe but it has greyed pink tinge to it now. What happens to it next depends on how much it has shrunk. I am off the idea of making a jacket because it looks like matching across the seams will be needed. at the beginning, I thought I could get out without bothering about matching. So the current idea is to make it into a curtain to keep the drafts out and there are many in this house. But the length is not dry yet.

Dorothy ran a dyeing with Procion day on Thursday and I asked for the leftovers not to be discarded. I have quite a bit of white cotton yarn which I would like to space dye.

It is a pity the lower photo has the red garage doors  as a background but it does show the skeins are red with dashes of blue.

Last night I went to a 'macro' evening at the camera club. This is where one person bringa a whole lot of stuff in for members to practise macro photoing. Small bottles of perfume placed on a mirror, a tied up bundle of sharpened coloured pencils, a basket of eggs, one of oranges. I duly took a raft of photos


On looking at the large number of photos I took, the majority of which and nicely in position and properly focussed, I have made a big discovery. I really am not interested in these. Maybe the flowers but not glass sweets or bottles of perfume or in general still lives. And that goes for portraits of people too, at least posed ones. I much prefer to catch people unawares.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.