Friday 22 April 2016

Making a leather wallet

Lori Sauer is a bookbinder who lives near Salisbury and runs classes. She is a bit of a special bookbinder since she is President of the Designer Bookbinders. However this blog is about her bookbinding skills but about her course on a leather wallet. Now this is not a money wallet but a tool wallet, in other words, a holder for small bookbinding tools. It was held in a bookbinding workshop and there were nine of us, including Cally Booker. She came, not that she did not want to come, because I was regarded by the family as a liability but life got very complicated. I had an urgent appointment with my surgeon as things were not looking good on the first day of the course. It was a two day course. So l lost half a day but I had got well ahead and we went an hour early on the second day which meant   I had caught up by 1000 hours.

So a few photos are shown below.


The top photo is the centrefold with a thick felt sheet for needles. Everywhere there are pockets. The height of the wallet is 19 cm (7.5 inches). I am pleased with it. Cally and I were discussing whether it would be worthwhile to make one for weaving but decided there were not enough small tools to be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.