Thursday 28 April 2016

Bah!!

The title refers to something I did which was a big mistake. But I have decided what to do to retrieve the position. Let me explain. Today I started a weekly class at Bracknell on Lino cutting of which I have much experience. The attraction here is the Lino cut press which is gorgeous. It is mid-Victorian, a Columbia Press and is cast iron. It has a freestanding eagle on the top, about 18 inches high and when the press is used, the eagle moves up and down. As I said, gorgeous. 

The tutor had prepared two projects for all the students which can be carried out in any technique the student fancies. I was quite taken with one of the projects, 'garden' and spent the whole day designing it. As I walked back to the car, I realised that I did not like the project at all and, after thinking about it sitting in the car, realised my take on the project was twee and sentimental. So I rethought it and decided to do the other project which is take a poem. At least two years ago, I started on Dunbar's The Makar's Lament but never implemented it. That is it. Certainly black and not sentimental at all as my design will have lots of skulls, wearing crowns, cardinal's hats, etc. So I have a lot to do in the next week. First to find out where I got to in Photoshop An to decide what next. This is going to be much more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.