Sunday 10 May 2015

London for the day

 Yesterday I started out from Leamington Spa with Anne, Derek and Alex for London. We went to the Courtauld  Gallery where, to my great pleasure, there was an exhibition of Goya drawings and etchings. Great though hardly cheering but one expects that with Goya. I have not been to the Courtauld for many years and I had forgotten what a wonderful collection it was, Dufys, Braques, the odd early Picasso, lots of Impressionists, a Berthe Morisot. 

Then we wandered round Covent Gardem, looked at the buskers. I bought Anne her birthday present yes I know it is not till August but it was too good to walk past. An Art Deco style handbag in black and white.

Derek and Alex left us to find a burger and go home while Anne and I went to have dinner at the Opera house (very good) and see King Roger. Sung in Polish. Not that the words made any difference. It was a typical opera plot, incomprehensible. But the music was first rate. Back to the hotel and this morning, a bacon roll at Marylebone and a train back to Leamington Spa.

What a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.