Monday 18 May 2015

Enviromental search

A most extraordinary document of 32 pages appeared from the lawyer on Saturday. It was an environmental search of the house we are buying. Nothing wrong. But what is interesting is what it covers. Is there any fracking within 4 miles of the house? Are there any old coal mines? Any other cavities, natural or manmade? Any oil rigs? Any radon? And so on and so on for 32 pages. The answer to everything is NO, so that's okay but it makes for interesting reading!! I had no idea the lawyer had to see to this.
 
It cheered me up when suffering from anti-Megado-warpitis. I got everything in the warp mended, started weaving and soon gave up. I admit to ignorance and not having done anything like this before. It is double cloth with two warps of very fine wool, each sett at 30 epi. This means 60 epi in total and it is sleyed at 4 per dent in a 15 dent reed. Basically the two yarns are hairy and cling together. It is impossible to weave. I thought nothing of it beforehand. After all, I have warped up silk at 60 epi often. But I cannot weave this. I considered just dumping it all but had a cup of tea and considered the situation.  I then examined the draft (in Fibreworks) and played with it and decided that it was worthwhile to throw away the two outer sections of warp and resley the warp as a single cloth without rethreading. It is that or abandon 6 yards of rather nice warp. Moral: be careful what yarn you use for double cloth. I have used 2 ply Shetland several times and that worked fine. 
 
I don't often dump a warp. I can think two occasions only in the last several years. One was when I was warping up a very fine black Z-twist. I could not see the threads  to thread up and so abandoned it. The yarn ended up with Cally Booker. I hope she finds it useful. The other was when I was given a white silk warp from Whitchurch Silk Mill. The silk had to sett at 150 epi. That never even made it onto the loom and I gave the warp away. Interesting that all three are very fine threads! 

1 comment:

  1. When we sold our house outside San Jose, we had to disclose in a similar legal document all the animals that we encountered on the property. In addition to dogs and cats, we listed rattlesnakes, gophers (a kind of ground squirrel), deer, mountain lion, bobcat, pheasant, grouse, quail, wild turkeys, wild boar, racoons, opossum, tarantulas, coyote, falcons, owls, hawks, and any number of smaller birds. Quite an intimidating list for a city-dwelling buyer, but not actually dangerous if one is accustomed to dealing with them. (In the case of the wild boar and mountain lion, keep pets and children indoors after dark, since both are mostly nocturnal and not inclined to tangle with full-size humans.)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.