Monday 6 October 2014

Hana Ori Started

I warped up for weaving Hana-Ori (Thousand Flowers) on the Megado some weeks ago but never started weaving it. I started on it a few days ago and is it slow!
 
This is one complete section, albeit with a couple of mistakes in the draft which I will put right. It took me several hours just to do this little piece which is about 9 inches long. The ground weave is tabby. The problem is
this. Eight shuttles!! I have never done anything with so many shuttles. On careful examination of my hana-ori sample (from Okinawa), the ends of each colour are carefully knotted together at the back of the piece so I will do the same but that cannot be done until the piece is cut off the loom so there are ends all over the place.  There are 5 or 6 yards of warp on the loom so this is going to take a long time.  The piece I am copying has the section shown above plus a second section with a totally different pattern. I will correct the first draft, then weave a sample from the second draft and check that. Then I will weave a complete copy. After all, it is samples for the Complex Weavers Japanese Textile Study Group. Then it will be a question of how much warp I have left.
 
I was at Guild on Saturday, unloading everything used at the Newbury Show ten days ago. But I ended up by bringing a lot of stuff home. Marion Proctor has finished knitting blanks on her knitting machine and brought everything in to Guild. Yesterday (Sunday) I sample dyed little skeins of yarn and have selected what colours I will use. I will be posting Marion's to her today for her to select what colours she wants. Great fun. It is raining very hard and the idea of working in the garage does not appeal so will consider doing my dyeing tomorrow. 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.