Thursday 10 July 2014

Moving On

Kennet Valley Guild has set out on another venture. This time it is to make something which reflects Charles Rennie Mackintosh's designs. I put the thought aside but kept going back to images of his chairbacks. In the end I gave in and starting at 10 o'clock last night, created a double weave on 32 shafts.
But when I got up this morning, it reminded me of Vasarely.
 Not quite right yet and the colours want tweaking.
The back is wildly different. I have by no means made my mind up. There are 298 threads in a repeat but this is two cloths so the width of a repeat is about 150 threads. I set my silk, nominally 70/2 but actually more like 90/2, at 60epi which would make a repeat 2.5 inches wide. A bit 'in-your-face' either coloured or monochrome. Hmmph! Lining for a wool jacket? Do it in fine wool and make a jacket? I have lots of recently acquired 32/2 wool yarn. But the pattern repeat would be even larger. Do it in subdued colours and it stops being Mackintosh. This needs to simmer.
 
Speaking of simmering, I have managed to dye all the yarn I have for the small Newbury Coat. The Megado has sorted and soon I can starting tieing on the new warp. I want to get this off the Megado and go on to other exciting projects, like weaving up Hana-ori samples for the Japanese Textile Study Group. And the above Mackintosh project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.