Thursday 31 July 2014

Finger Weaving Class

I spent Monday and Tuesday in Carol James's class on Finger Weaving. I saw her on. BBC program demoing Canadian belts years ago and wanted to learn.
Here is one of her belts
And here are my two day's worth of samples! I worked very hard as did every one else in the class. Total silence, no chat at all. And sore backs all round. I also have a belt started. I shall continue working on it on the plane to Sweden and on Anne's Island next week.
The food has been very surprising. Lots of first rate fish and seafood. Tempura with prawns in a Japanese shack, scallops last night. Breakfasts in the hotel are extortionate so we ate in a cafe the first two days but then got to a supermarket and I have just had muesli with strawberries for breakfast. Debbie and Rosie have done their usual stunt. They rushed off at 0730 to get their weaving finished by 0900 when the tutor is going to start them on a major project. They are doing a three day course on colour and have learnt a huge amount.
Now I must go. I promised to try and get some bread this morning. We are making our own sandwiches. Everything opens today, the Vendors Hall, the exhibitions and people will pour in. Tonight is the catwalk show, the start of Convergence proper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.