Saturday 7 June 2014

Chicago Day 7

Yesterday we visited Wingspread which is FLW's house for the Johnson family. This is enormous compared to the other houses we have seen. It is currently in use as a conference centre which means that there are no books on the bookshelves or ornaments/pictures around and it looks bad.

Inside Wingspread.

Looking outside

An outside view of the centre section.

The children's wing.

And then it was on to Racine and the Johnson Wax buildings. I had not realised that, in addition to the admin building, FLW had built a Research tower.

We were not allowed to take photos of the inside but the inside was quite startling. The admin building was, of course, stunning. This is the one which has pillars supporting the roof. It is still used and the staff still use the same desks that FLW designed. And very functional too. I expected a much bigger building from the photos.

After that it was a long drive in the rush hour to Chicago.

Sorry about the lamp post but the photo was taken from the bus and there are a huge number of lamp posts. The black tower is the Sears tower. Today we walk round Chicago and have the afternoon off. We end up at the Art Gallery and I intend to stay there and investigate the Japanese section.

I am getting fed up with an enormous dinner every night and last night caused consternation by having one course and not eating much of that. Not to mention a cooked breakfast every morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.