Friday 27 December 2013

Double Overshot

I seem to be into Overshot at the moment. Probably because the Guild weaving class is studying Overshot early next year. I have tried turned overshot and then selected two turned patterns where the treadling length of the two was in the ratio of 2:1.

This was a test pattern (one repeat) on the ghost warp on my 12-shaft Meyer. The pastel warp and weft is of 22/2 cottolin dyed by me years ago and rediscovered recently in my stash. The blue is indigo dyed 22/2 cottolin used double. There were two errors in this. When put right, I tied on the silk warp which is 16/2 soysilk for the ground and Debbie Bliss silk for the pattern.

The Debbie Bliss silk was acid dyed by me. The larger pattern is Mary Ann Ostrander and the smaller is Johann Schleeleien No 120, both from Marguerite Davison's book. I have a problem which I thought I could get away with but - - - . The ratio between the pattern and the ground yarn is large whereas in the cottolin, it was 2:1. Since the warp is rather short at just over a metre, I thought I could get away with this but the ground warp is already a bit slacker than I like. Oh well, it seems like a lot of film canisters are needed on the back.

From which you may gather that the family has all gone home, having eaten the goose and the turkey and all the trimmings. We are reassembling, lots more of us, in Dorset tomorrow to have a week-long celebration of Ruth's birthday which is a special one. I am picking up a suckling pig from the Ledbury butcher, Mr Waller, early tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.