Friday 6 December 2013

A Woodpecker and Some Donsu


This is a regular winter visitor to our garden. It has been coming regularly every few days over the last ten or more years around now until February. It or its descendants of course. Sometimes it comes along with a young one and teaches it to make conical holes in our lawn. It is very wary of humans and I have to move very carefully to get to the window to take photos. I have heard them drilling into trees.

Some of the donsu taken off the Megado earlier this week. This is for the Japanese Textile Study Group. The distance between flowers horizontally is less than half an inch. This pattern has been developed from an example of Japanese meibutsgire (fabric to wrap up a tea ceremony pot). Done in 90/2 silk, both warp and weft.

Two sides of the silk (2 metres of it) to make a waistcoat from. I originally thought I would use the copper dominant side but the other side shimmers in bronze (green plus copper) and I cannot decide! There is plenty of fabric and I might add pockets and labels made from the other side, which ever that be in the end. This has the sage green 90/2 warp but the weft is copper 30/2 silk from a UK firm at  myfineweavingyarns.co.uk

I have started weaving the modified four colour double weave using white and bright green 90/2 silk and it is working fine. I will use this to cover a book (Sweet Thames Flow Gently) but will experiment with weft yarns for the Convergence piece and I am going to start with silk noil. The way I created this draft was to take a four colour weave draft I created when at Bonnie Inouye's class in 2012, substitute a straight draw on 32 shafts for the weft and turn the draft. Of course the two warp colours are now both sage green. But the draft creates the rippling stripes I am looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.