Saturday 20 April 2013

Ready for Off

On Thursday evening, by working hard and going to bed late, I wove enough of the donsu to provide me with the 44 samples I needed for the Complex Weavers Fine Threads Study Group. By rising early (0530) and again working hard, I had 44 printouts detailing the fabric and draft with the samples attached all parcelled up and ready to be posted by 1100 hours. I really did not want to back out this year as I had to give up last year because the builders were in the studio and access to the Megado was impossible.

The rest of the day was spent doing paperwork and preparing for the Homesitters who arrive today. The biggest job was sorting out the manuals for all the household equipment which I have not done for 6 years. I managed to reduce 4 large Lever Arch files to two, one large and one small, so that's a good job done. But it was after 11 again by the time I got to bed.

I have a small amount of repacking to do but first to get my hair cut. At lunchtime, I take the train to Egham to stay with Ruth overnight and tomorrow - well tomorrow Venice! And the start of this great adventure. I have a note of the three best shops for marbled paper!!.I reckon I can walk there from our hotel. I intend to get the hotel to post it home for me if, of course, I find anything I like. I have been very surprised by how interested everyone is  in this trip. I had to have my annual blood test on Thursday and the nurse (who  I had never met before) immediately asked about the trip. When did it start, where would I visit. 

I did look up one interesting fact. The straight line distance between Istanbul and Xian is over 3500 miles. 

I think I have done everything I should have done, promised someone else to do. But it is going to be too late soon.

4 comments:

  1. Dorothy Eggleton20 April 2013 at 09:14

    Have a good trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bon voyage. Look forward to your blog posts during travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful trip. I'll think of you in Egham - we lived in Englefield Green in 1991-1993, on Bishopsgate Road near the Great Park. I used to drive DH to the Egham train station every day, and we shopped in Egham daily....... Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon voyage! Can't wait to hear all about the trip.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.