Wednesday 24 April 2013

Last day in Venice

I am finding the dating of blogs a bit confusing as I have taken to writing up the day's events on the following morning. We are now in Istanbul and I will going out in 20 minutes.

Yesterday we walked over to St Mark's Square. Most of the group wandered off to take photos but a few of us went to the Library to see Marco Polo's will. This took a bit of organising as no one had booked us in. Eventually a very helpful librarian offered to show us a photograph. It was of course in handwritten Italian (not a holograph) but they supplied a typed version which was compressible. He left most of his goods to his wife, Donata, and their three daughters, ?, Bellela and Moreta.

After this we went by boat to Murano to see a glass factory. A major selling exercise. Most of the stuff on sale was nasty. Then to Burano which is a lovely island with multicoloured houses and lots of shops selling Burano lace. I priced a very small piece I fancied (about four inches square) and they wanted 1600 Euros for it. Oh well! We had a very nice lunch and then back to Venice. Ate an icecream in the square nearest to the hotel, collected luggage and set off for the airport. Rather a lot of doing nothing for the next 7 hours while we were transported to Istanbul. We arrived at the hotel after midnight.

A few photos of Burano are above.

Now it is Do-Istanbul time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.