Thursday 25 October 2012

Mixed Fortunes

I finished off the wooden dowel to hold this up at the exhibition next week. It is at The Public in West Bromwich and is the Midlands Textile Forum's 'Festivals and Celebrations'. It is on from November 10th to February 3rd. This piece is in Diversified Plain Weave with the candle flames overpainted with gold. It is backed with thick ecru cotton and has a quilter's sleeve to hold the dowel rod.


And this is the finished 'Fireworks'. It is in DPW with gold paint, machine and hand embroidery. Backed with black cotton and with a quilter's sleeve.

The cover finished and ready for use on Volume 1 of the Jules Verne.













The paper I used for the Verne endpapers was too thin and so I pasted it down to the textblock - forgetting that the endpapers had been printed on the inkjet printer. The result is the ruination of all endpapers - see photo - and the plain paper is badly stained. There will be nothing for it but to cut these pages off. I have remembered that I have a big roll of heavy duty cartridge paper and will cut some pieces bigger than A4 from it and print on those. I would rather use the inkjet than the laserjet as the colours are nicer - and you can print right up to the edge of the paper. Depressing - especially as I have made this mistake before! 

Today I must start on the next session of the drafting course. It does not happen for some weeks but I had a long talk with Chris Wright at the weekend and she had a lot of very useful suggestions. So I must do as much as I can before going off to Spain next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.