Saturday 13 October 2012

A new kind of book


For the last two days I have been at Lori Sauer's learning how to make a new kind of binding - the Pompidou. The white straps you see are of vellum (A first for me) and the boards are covered with a very nice handmade handmade paper from Holland. This is so nice that I managed to buy two sheets from Lori. Ialso discovered the names of several places around the UK where I can buy handmade paper.

Making the book was not easy and I had to take out some of the stitching and redo it. In a perfect world, I would spend next week making two more books of this type but that is not going to happen.









Here is another view. I can see all sorts of ways of doing the spine

At the beginning of the week, I finished threading the Megado and started sleying it. On Wednesday I went to bookbinding twice, morning and afternoon as I have missed two days being in Washington. I finished the headbands for three Coptic books and started on rescuing a paperback called 'How to Clean Everything'. Absolutely essential to my wellbeing. The spine has been redone. What you do is remove the glue on the spine - this was done by putting it in the guillotine and taking off about 0.5 mm!!  Then you clamp it up, all squared upand then put saw cuts across the spine which have a depth of two thicknesses of linen thread. Linen thread is then wound in and out all the way up and down the spine. A good application of PVA and voila. it can be treated as a hardback. It should get completed next Wednesday.  My son-in-law, Robin is here, framing pictures and complaining about the way I store the mountboard and theframing. So on Sunday  we are going to tidy it all up..

A major urgent job for Monday is to warp up the Voyager ready for Stacey Harvey-Brown's course next weekend at Kennet Valley Guild's residential weekend. The other thing that happens on Monday is that I am visiting a furniture maker with a view to getting covers for Coptic books from him!!!

The other thing that is happening is that my son-in-law, Robin, is here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.