Tuesday 24 July 2012

Huntley Woods

TheAddedI take Jake, a collie cross, for a walk in Huntley Woods twice a day. Yesterday I saw a hare - sitting up. A lovely sight. And both yesterday and today I saw a doe. (red deer). Very quiet and not too bothered by us. Jake is well trained. He freezes when he sees stray animals so this morning we just stood and watched the doe until she got bored watching us and moved off. It is mixed open woodland with large oaks, birch, some conifers and a large number of large beeches. The undergrowth is bracken and foxgloves at this time of year. There are mushrooms and fungi on the rotting tree trunks and there are orchids in flower as well. The paths are very rough with lots of tree roots and, after all the rain, puddles and muddy swamps. So Dorothy cannot go there until she is much fitter. Today we are going out to another wood where the paths are concrete and she will come too.

I have examined the Google situation and I could connect myself to Dorothy's line but the problem is that I have to reconnect the line to her computer every time and I don't want to upset her connection so I have decided to write the blog as though I was including photos but put them in later. I might be able to do this at Cally Booker's house so will keep a loaded USB by me!!

I have completed the second Coptic book and will go and finish the last Japanese book when I have finished here. I seem to have done a lot of reading. A book on Art Deco and one on Command and Generalship by Keegan. It is difficult to believe that a year ago I could not read a book and here I am demolishing them at my old (five years ago) speed.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.