Sunday 15 July 2012

Getting Ready

Tomorrow I am going north to Dundee to look after my sister who has just had a major operation and the last few days have been spent clearing off deadlines. I think I have done everything except prune the pear trees which I shall do this afternoon. So I finished off the Coptic book I started on Friday, Ironed some silk/cotton stencilled by my grand daughter, Madi, some weeks ago. After heat setting it, I folded it in half, machined the sides, turned it inside out and ladder-stitched the opening and Voila! a silk scarf which will be delivered today. Other jobs were emptying the in-tray and writing loads of letters and emails.

Since I don't expect to get out sight seeing much, I am taking a lot of things to do with me. This includes a lot of fabric applied to paper ready for book covers, loads of fancy paper for inside the book. I discovered this stash while clearing out a box. Also the Voyager and all the yarn needed to warp up for Barabar Walker's course in August. We are all looking forward to this. She has been to our Guild before and ran a course on yarn and colour which the students still talk about.

The other thing I am taking is a new venture. Michael left a large number of paintings and drawings. Indeed he was working on a new book with me when he died and I just shoved everything into a large box and put it away. However I have since heard of a website called blurb where you can design your own book and have it printed off. I have seen a friend's book which was full of photos of embroideries. So I decided to do this with Michael's paintings. I have downloaded the software and it is on the laptop. What is also on the laptop are lots of scanned pictures. In fact lots and lots and I have many more to do. I have found sketches of the girls when they were in their teens, dated 1973.  One big problem I have is that a lot of the paintings are bigger than A4 which is the size of my scanner. I have a feeling that Dorothy has an A3 scanner in which case I will take the box with me.  Below are one or two of his paintings.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.