Monday 21 May 2012

Japanese Bookbinding





The photos above show the results of a one-day class in Japanese-style Bookbinding. There were nine students and each made 2 books. Most people completed these but a couple took home their last book to finish off the sewing on the spine. Most people covered one book in paper and one in fabric. One is very interesting because it is covered in woven shibori (Top photo top left book) by Marie FitzSimmons. All in all, a happy day. Memo to self. I really should have taken more colours of plain paper.


I finished off the weaving in 120/2 silk on Saturday. Above is a long length which I shall apply to a silk scarf. The photo on the left is just a close-up showing the network draft in more detail. The loom I used has gone back to its owner (Chris Wright. Thank you, Chris!) all warped up so that she can have a try at weaving the same pattern.
 
 
 
 
 
Now I must devote this week to catching up and the first thing to do is get the Shuttle (the Kennet Valley Guild newsletter) ready for publication. It should have gone to the printer today but I hope he will be kind to me and wait till Wednesday. Other than that, I am visiting a furniture maker today. I saw his work at the Spring Gardening Show locally and want a map chest made for all my paper. Why buy something when for a bit more you can have something beautiful? I hope it will keep the paper stash under control. I am very annoyed with myself because I have lost a whole bundle of Japanese paper and had to buy some more. I am hoping it surfaces when the chest arrives and is put into use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.