Thursday 31 May 2012

Coles Funny Picture Book

Coles Funny Picture Book is at last repaired. You can just see the new red  spine on the left. The spine was sewn, onto four tapes, glued, stiffened with mull and kraft paper, then had the inside of the covers PVA'd to the text block. When all was  dry, I prepared a spine with red bookcloth, tucked both sides into a slit in the edge of the two covers, glued it all down and prayed. When it was all dry, I pasted thin paper over the mull and tapes left showing on the outer pages of the textblock. I had cut this so that it only occupied the margin of the text block. It all looks fine. It needs a good press and that's that. Next to make a box for it. Nothing is ever going to be possible with corners of the covers and protection is needed.



I had a great time at Nottingham Museum on Tuesday. The Living in Silk exhibition is great but I have written a review for the WSD Journal. There was also another exhibition on by Fashion students from the local Art College. Their brief was to design and make something of silk. Not only are they are really good (and very wearable) but the Museum printed the photos out lifesize and hung them all the way up the staircase. Quite stunning.

 I have been catching up with Bourneville as I have missed a lot of classes and have turned out two cushions and am about to make a box. I also need to get ready for the weekend course, a  three day Creative Development course run by Samantha Field and  I need to think about things, not to mention deciding what I want out of the course. Watch this space for agonising in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.