Sunday 25 March 2012

Work in Progress

The Megado is at last up and running. Here is a photo of the Diversified Plain Weave. I have woven just less than a metre and will be taking it off today when I woven a bit more. This is going to the USA Complex Weavers as samples.

Then I am going to weave up some lengths to put into the Midland Textile Forum's April Exhibition. I only hope I have the right colours of yarn because I seem to be giving out a lot of yarn to the Guild for various joint projects. I am thinking of painting the warp anyway. The items for the MTF exhibition have not been going well. I have thrown out one of a fish as too horrid to rescue. I have decided to do it again from scratch and hope to get that done today. I have a replacement sewing machine so it should be okay. I need to get about 5 pieces finished by Friday which is one a day!!! I leave for Australia on Friday. SOOOOOO!!

Some time ago I made a small piece with a quilted paeony on it and wondered what to do with it. Annette Lucas (Bournville tutor) suggested I should make a bag with it applied as a pocket. So this is it. The outer fabric is samples of upholstery fabric and the inside is space dyed cotton that I made and found in my stash.



 My book on Headbands has not arrived so I could not redo the headband at the Bookbinding class. Instead I tried my hand at these Turkish folding map/books. The instructions for these can be found in Green Chair Press. They are all made from scrap paper. The two at the bottom show two closed up. My intention is create a piece of paper for the inside, printed, painted, whatever and fold that up.

I went to the last of this year's weaving classes yesterday. Everyone has produced interesting items in Summer and Winter (runners, cushions, tea-towels) or Diversified Plain Weave (ditto). Great stuff.



So today's jobs are - in order

- prepare the fish textile. I do intend to screen print part of it so must allow time for it to dry
- get the samples off the Megado, do the write up and parcel them all up for post tomorrow
- think about the next bit weaving and find the drafts (they have been done) as well as the yarn


1 comment:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.