Tuesday 27 March 2012

Getting along with preparation for the Exhibition

The photo shows the next design of DPW on the Megado - and includes a bit of the lovely sunshine we are enjoying. I have been sitting out on the patio for morning coffee. The draft is one of the series of Mughal windows, a topic which works well with weaving on 32 shafts. Actually it works on 8 shafts as well as the Kennet Valley weaving class has been discovering.




 This is a straight-on photo which shows up the pattern. I have woven enough for four panels for the exhibition and am about to try an experiment. What will happen if I painted the warp with Seka Silk paints? I painted the warp last night and left it to dry. It is difficult to get all the threads painted and so they will be mottled with white. I am trying to get the background colour to vary up the warp with green (grass) at the bottom and blue (sky) at the top.

I have made a lot of progress in finishing off the entries for the Midlands Textile Forum's exhibition and have completed four. Why have so many pieces been hanging around the house unfinished? Because they need mirror plates attached and some need a cover piece of white cotton over the lacing at the back. I have one more to complete as well as what ever I do from the DPW weaving. I'll get there!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I really would like to weave pattern like this - I love your one! Where can I find a draft for pattern like this? Can you help me please?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.