Wednesday 8 February 2012

Grandchildren Minding

Last week I extolled the beauties of the Mediaeval Manuscript Exhibition to my son-in-law and I spent yesterday minding the grandchildren while he went to London to see it. Since they spend most of the day at school, I took my sewing machine and a lot of bits of pieces, including two pieces of fabric created to reflect tree bark and created yet another bag. By the time I had backed this piece with a larger piece of cotton and fused a lining to it, sewn the outer bag together, sewn the lining (including pockets), assembled the handles (brown velvet ribbon sewn to webbing) and put the lot together, there was only an hour left before the children reappeared demanding food.

This side was created at the Bournville class about a year ago.






Here is the other side. This one was created at the NEC Quilt Show last August. They are not linked by the fact that the two sides are about bark and are brown(ish). It might have been better if I had created two more pieces which were a better match but that's hindsight for you.

This is part of my 'try to finish a few projects' blitz. Today I will finish off four copies of Michael's Morning Glory book at the Bookbinding class and prepare for a class on Coptic binding in 10 days time. I am taking a class with Lori Sauer in Wiltshire. There is a bit of Coptic binding that I have never done satisfactorily. 

And then there is the Megado waiting to be tied on.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.