Wednesday 22 February 2012

Coptic Book in Walnut

Yesterday I had a day's teaching in binding Coptic Books from Lori Sauer at Pewsey. The teaching was on two particular aspects - which I had no experience of. The first was the use of thick wooden covers with holes drilled in the edge and stitched through the covers. The covers were quarter sawn walnut 6.5 mm thick. I was nervous about drilling into the covers at an angle but it all worked although not perfectly aligned and tidy. This was child's play compared with the next bit which was the real reason for going. Coptic books tend to swivel on the back stitching. Putting on a head band , which is the stitching across the covers and textblock at  the top and bottom of the book, goes a long way to sorting that out. 

 But it is not easy and I spent a lot of time unpicking the stitching. Lori was very patient and I mostly did the second section myself. I have notes but I need to make another one very soon - like today but that is not going to happen. Her method of stitching across the spine of the book is good as the chain stitch shows up clearly and the tension is even. It does mean working with four needles at once!!!

It was a long day. I left home at 0730 am and got back home at 0700 pm. So nothing got done last night.  The Omar Khayyam book is not going to get finished today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.