Monday 15 August 2011

First Five Cushions Finished

I have finished five cushions from yarn, indigo dyed warp (mid-blue) and natural dyed weft. I have created two patterns on the same warp. I prefer this one. The other is shown below.



 The backs will be cotton - purchased from Doughtys of Hereford last Monday. I have to warp up with dark blue indigo now and weave another 2 or 3 cushions.  I am going to use the mid-blue warp as a ghost warp. I have a lot of weft yarn left and am wondering whether I can arrange the colours in the warp to get yet another 2 or 3 cushions!

Interesting that there were no broken threads at all in the mid-blue warp, indeed no problems at all. It almost wove itself. 12epi and a balanced weave so very fast for the Megado. The draft is based on one in Strickler's book -  a book the guild has got very keen on over the last year.



If there are no weaving problems, there are plenty of computer problems. Michael has left no instructions for the computers, of which we are now down to 5 + 2 laptops, having thrown out 5 machines yesterday. The major problem is with the two machines which run on Linux of which I have no experience. I can do you a program of 200,000 lines of Fortran on Mr Gates's system but on Linux, nothing. So I have called for help from an expert. I suspect that two of the computers are doing nothing and one of the Linux machines is dying. So we should be down to less than five in total shortly!!

And yes, in 50 years of marriage, I had never recognised that Michael was a hoarder. I gave away 5 keyboards and 6 mice yesterday but I still have four keyboards in their original boxes, never unpacked as well as similarly still-wrapped mice and switches. I suppose it takes having someone else in the house (my son-in-law) to say 'You don't need all these. Get rid of them'. In a way, it is getting permission to throw out some of Michael's stash  - that is what it is - a stash. It is however very depressing. Why couldn't he have left some notes?
 




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.