Tuesday 23 August 2011

Another Completed Project

Some weeks ago I showed a piece of batik which I had done under my sister's supervision. It has been pinned up on the board waiting for mbe to think of something to do with it. I thought the white lines where the soy wax had been washed out needed something doing to them. So this morning, I quilted it!! A first for me. I quilted through the sandwich of backing/wadding/cottonbatik  with green and red thread where the wax had been. That means the outline of the leaves and the stems and veins. I shall use it on the dining room table. It is 15 by 25 inches. The next project is to tie on the dark indigo warp to the ghost warp on the Megado.

I got up early and editted all the contributions for the Newbury Coat document which have come in since I sent out a general MayDay call yesterday. I have two or three more promised for tomorrow.

I have been carrying out Jette Clover's (tutor at the NEC FOQ) idea of doing a piece of collage every morning. I have selected three different sorts of coloured paper and have out them plus a load of postcards (cut from a cheap TESCO watercolour pad) into a wire basket. Every morning, first thing, a create a new postcard sized collage. They are turning out interesting. The first few days were different arrangements of the same components. But I find myself having thoughts about during the day and the last two are much improved. One of them I would be happy to turn into a piece of fabric. Interesting. When the month is over, I will take a photo of the lot and show it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.