Thursday 7 July 2011

Silk Wrap

Here is the silk wrap - not with any grand clothes on with it. I just wanted Dorothy to photograph it before she left for home.

















And a side view. It is basically a tube made by sewing two lengths of silk together on both sides and leaving a gap in the centre of one seam.

















Yesterday in the afternoon Dorothy and I did batik on cotton in the garage. She brought all the right tools, proper wax pens and a device to keep the wax hot. Procion MX dyes were put on with a brush after the wax outline was completed.  This is my first attempt  and has lots of dribbles of wax is the wrong place but I got better as I went along. 

We used up all Procion dye left over on six pieces of cotton. I am not sure what I am going to do with all of these pieces of fabric. I am not a quilter like Dorothy and the stash is getting bigger and bigger.  

But this is not the day for thinking about that. Tomorrow I am off to Kuala Lumpur and points East (Singapore, Malacca, Taiwan). I am staying with my daughter in KL and travelling out with my grand-daughter, Charlotte. Tomorrow we have a strenous day. Train to London, meet Charlotte at Paddington, park luggage, go to St Paul's Cathedral, listen to my grandson, Chris and his choir sing there, move to Covent Garden and listen to him there, find something to eat, think about what to do next. When it is 5 pm, go back to Paddington, collect luggage, go to Liverpool Street station and take train to Stansted, collapse in heap until booking-in opens, catch plane at 1115pm. And sleep.

So today I have lots of odd jobs to do, including packing.  I hope to blog from the East.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.